Start chipping like this with your buds the next time you guys tee it up and you’ll be the belle of the ball. Fitz is the only top-flight pro we know that uses a cross-handed chip/pitch action. He’s also the reigning US Open and RBC Champion. Maybe others should follow suit.
Reasons to use this technique:
- If it works, why the hell not?
- It minimizes excessive hinging which helps with distance control
- It shallows out your path, which helps with picking the ball off tight lies for cleaner strikes
- It helps with keeping the clubface squarer, longer
- It forces you to turn your chest, back and through which is a GOOD thing unless you love chunking, duffing and skulling
- Fitz does it. And he wins
Give this technique a try. At least during a practice session. You never know…