First off, Harman’s clubs are all left-handed. Which means only 5-7% of you reading this should ever attempt to hit his whippy shafted winners.
Harman is a Titleist man, and yesterday was a great win for the player and his manufacturer. But there are some idiosyncrasies with his gear set up.
- We have a whippiest winner! Harman uses the softest and whippiest iron shafts on Tour, Dynamic Gold S300. A strong man he is not. A major winner, yes indeed.
- Even though yesterday was the 2nd major win of the season for Titleist, only a single Titleist putter (Scotty, of course) was fielded by a major winner in ‘23, and it wasn’t played by a Titleist staffer. This week Harman used a 5-yr old TaylorMade mallet. Koepka, this year’s PGA Championship winner, who isn’t even on Titleist staff, plays with a Scotty. Wyndham Clark (the other Titleist staffer to win a major this year) and Harman went with their hearts and not their wallets, putting into play Odyssey and TaylorMade putters respectively during their victories.
- Harman could be using newer Titleist models for both his driver and fairway woods, but has more confidence in what he’s been swinging the last 2+ seasons. He drove the ball like a boss at Hoylake.
- He had 3 utility irons in his bag (3-5), the most we’ve ever seen any player use in his 14 club set-up. And we watched over and over again this past week why he went with the utility irons — because in the wet conditions, he was forced to hit them a bunch, and he hit them pure.
- Vokey SM9 wedges. But of course!
DRIVER: Titleist TSi2 (9 degrees), with Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 S shaft
FAIRWAY WOOD: Titleist TS2 (13.5 degrees), with Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution 2 S shaft
IRONS: Titleist U-500 (3-5), with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90HY 6.0 shafts, Titleist 620 CB (6-PW), with True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 shafts
WEDGES: Titleist Vokey Design SM9 (50, 54, 60 degrees), with True Temper Dynamic Gold S400 shafts
PUTTER: TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs
BALL: Titleist Pro V1