When the Big Swede, aka Ludvig Aberg, ran from his Macro-Economics 346 class straight to the 1st tee of his inaugural PGA TOUR tourney as a pro a handful of months ago, he grabbed his college set of clubs and hasn’t looked back.
Yesterday Aberg won the RSM Classic, tying the 72-hole tour record at -29 (Justin Thomas), firing 61-61 over the weekend. And yes, you did read that correctly. If he can shoot 61-61 under immense pressure to win his first tour event, he probably could have used Bobby Jones’ clubs from the ’30s and still whopped ass on some of the gents who made the cut.
On to his actual equipment. The equipment free agent (let’s not kid ourselves, some of these companies are paying him to use this gear; we would!) played the RSM with three manufacturers in the bag: Titleist, TaylorMade and Odyssey (Callaway). He also was pitching, putting, and smashing trusty ProV1x balls. We know for a fact he’s getting greenbacks for playing his ball; and likely got $$$ kickers from TaylorMade and Callaway for winning his first PGA TOUR title with their clubs in his bag.
- At 6’3″, his clubs are longer than most. This means he’s spent some ample time making sure the swing weight of his gear is perfect for his strength and speed. That takes time for a player of his caliber and desired precision.
- He played with a pretty standard lofted 3-wood. Recently, we’ve seen more creative fairway metal set-ups. Ludvig is one of the best wood players on the planet right now. Maybe less tweaking is a good thing and others should follow his approach.
- He plays with a 6-yr-old 2-iron, and rips the shi* out of it. PRECISION. Why would he ever change this club? Seriously. With this weapon, he’s skilled enough to hit the stinger, and tall enough to hit it higher-than-high — landing quite a bit softer than his shorter (height and strength) contemporaries.
- His 4-9, T100 Titleist irons are circa 2019. We’ve owned a set. Nice. And when hit pure, which The Big Swede does all day and night, they feel butter-soft in your hands.
- Vokey wedges. No shi*. Kid’s a baller. Ballers only play with the best. Vokey. #1 on Tour.
Driver: Titleist TSR2 (9 degrees), with Fujikura Ventus Black 6 X shaft
Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 – ON SALE, $50 OFF (15 degrees), with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8 X
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB (2), T100 (4-9), with KBS Tour 130 X shafts
Wedges: Vokey Design SM9 (46, 50, 54 and 60 degrees). with KBS Tour 130 X shafts
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Versa #1 – ON SALE
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
Grips: Golf Pride MCC